Monday, April 21, 2008

We're Rockin and Rollin

In case you haven't heard. We've been experiencing some aftershocks since Friday's wall-banging earthquake [snicker].

Apparently there was a 5.2 magnitude earthquake in S. Illinois on Friday around 4:36 am. Now, we were all fast asleep...well, everyone except for Bandit. I'm pretty sure she felt it. I know she made her way into our bed sometime early in the morning and I had to kick her out. You see, McKenzie (cat) is 11 years older and she has dibs on the bed and doesn't wish to share with that "dog." So, I wasn't being mean, it is just something not allowed and so unusual for Bandit to crawl into bed without permission from Scott or I. I was thinking later in the morning that she was probably just checking in on us and didn't feel comfortable until she could stick her cold, wet nose on my face while I slept. For the record, McKenzie was no where to be found, I'm a tad hurt she was so indifferent about the whole thing, at least Bandit cared enough to check in on us!

I did experience the aftershock later in the day. I was sitting at my desk around 10:15 am and felt a wave buckle under my feet, the scanner on my desk shifted, the computer screen blinked and the papers hanging on my cube walls shuffled. I looked across the aisle to Roland, my coworker, and he said, "Was that what I think it was?" The news reported it as a 4.6 aftershock. I called Scott at work and he said he didn't feel it but others in the office did.

Apparently just after midnight this morning there was another aftershock of around 4.5 in magnitude. The news have reported 18 aftershocks since the original and that we should prepare for more.

I'm providing you a link to the New Madrid earth quake wiki page. It gives more insight into why everyone is so nervous about this quake and the aftershocks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

I know, Sean, Ryan and Janet are probably thinking, what's the big deal, California has quakes all this time! Just scan down to the comparison map with a California quake near the bottom of the page, it shows how a quake of equal magnitude effects each fault line.

I'll keep you updated as we feel more or in case we get a BIG ONE! hahahahaha!(probably shouldn't joke about it!)